Weight Loss Tips - Be Active
Be active to look and feel better!
Don't do it because you're “supposed to.” Be active to...
- Get better control of your weight, a more toned look, and stronger muscles
- Have more energy for other fun times, like hanging out with your friends
- Make friends who share your interests in dance, sports, or other activities
- Improve your mood and ability to focus for sports and school
Here's how your activity can add up:
- 10 minutes – Walking/biking to a friend's house
- 30 minutes – Shooting hoops
- 20 minutes – Dancing
- 60 minutes of activity!
Get up and move!
- Be active for 60 minutes a day. (You don't have to do it all at once.)
- Enjoy the outdoors with these activities: jumping rope, playing frisbee or flag-football, and skateboarding.
- Join a school sports or dance team. Jump into a neighborhood pick-up game of basketball or softball.
- Pitch in to help keep your area's sidewalks, sports fields, parks, and athletic centers clean and usable.
Stay active indoors too!
- Play indoor sports when it's cold or wet outside.
- Sit less. Watching TV, gaming, and surfing the web are fun but inactive, so spend less time in front of the screen.
- Dance to your favorite music by yourself, or have a dance party with friends.
- If you have a gaming system, choose active dance and sports games that track your movement.
Have fun with your friends!
- Be active with your friends to support each other and make moving fun.
- Mix it up. Choose different kinds of group activity:
- Active games
- Actions that get you moving, like walking around the mall